Convicted Felon’s DNA links to sexual assaults in 2008 and 2009


Convicted Felon’s DNA links to sexual assaults in 2008 and 2009

Spokane Valley Sexual Assault Detectives arrested 30-year-old Garry L. Davis after the DNA sample he was required to provide due to a recent conviction for Voyeurism last September matched previously unidentified DNA evidence collected from sexual assaults in 2008 and 2009.   


Davis was arrested and charged with Voyeurism on September 5, 2016 after Spokane Valley Deputies responded to a report of a male using a cell phone to try to take pictures of a 17-year-old victim from under the bathroom wall separating the two stalls at Greenacres Park.

Davis pled guilty to the charge and, as a convicted sex offender, was required to provide a DNA sample which was entered into the CODIS (Combine DNA Index System) database.  When his DNA sample was entered, it showed a match to a previously unidentified suspect DNA sample submitted from cases in 2008 and 2009.

The 2008 case occurred on December 10, at an apartment on Houk Road when the adult female victim awoke to a male, dressed in black, fondling her.  The victim screamed and her boyfriend who was asleep in the bed next to her woke up and chased the suspect.  The suspect knocked over their Christmas tree and coffee table in an attempt to escape and ran out the back door.  Later in the morning, when it was light outside, the victim’s boyfriend notice blood on a new tarp covering the BBQ next to the path where the suspect fled.

Believing the suspect may have cut himself while grabbing furniture as he fled, the tarp was collected and submitted as evidence.  The blood was tested, but a DNA match was not located.

On September 27, 2009, at approximately 2:30 a.m., an adult female victim was walking near Pines and 4th in Spokane Valley.  She was talking on her phone to a friend while walking a short distance home when a male approached her and asked her if he could help her.  The victim said “No” and abruptly hung up on her friend to let her know she was in trouble.  Her friend, who was still at Denny’s only a couple blocks away, immediately call back.  The suspect told the victim he would kill her and the person calling if she answered the phone.  The victim secretly pressed the answer button while continuing to hold the phone in her hand enabling her friend to hear the victim say. “No. Leave me alone. Stop!” and then scream before the call was disconnected.

The suspect grabbed the victim by the hair and threw her to the ground.  The victim ended up in a field a short distance away with the suspect lying on top of her.  The victim struggled and fought as the male attempted to forcibly remove her clothing and pin her arms down.  The victim continued to fight violently and scratch the male, causing him to stop his attack and flee.

The victim’s friend arrived at the location to help and found the victim on the ground crying and covered in dirt.  She noticed the shadow of a person running away.  The friend took the victim to the hospital where the attempted rape was reported and evidence was collected including the victim’s bloody sweatshirt she was wearing during the attack.  The sweatshirt was booked into evidence and the blood tested.  The results showed the blood found was from an unknown male.

The Washington State Crime Lab was able to match both of the unknown DNA results to the DNA sample Davis was required to provide stemming from the 2016 Voyeurism conviction.

With the new evidence, Detective Scott Streltzoff began reviewing the 2008 and 2009 case files, Davis’ history, and additional cases Davis may have been involved in.

Detective Streltzoff found Davis was named in several reported sexually driven incidents since 2005.   During this time, Davis was arrested twice for incident exposure (misdemeanor) and named as a possible suspect during the others.

On May 9, 2017, Detective Streltzoff and Detective Mitchell arrested Davis at a residence on Long Road in Spokane Valley.  He was transported to the Public Safety Building, advised of his rights and agreed to be interviewed.

At first, Davis said he didn’t remember the incidents.  As the interview continued, Davis admitted to committing the 2008 and 2009 incidents and to entering other homes over the past few years.

At the conclusion of the interview, Davis was booked into the Spokane County Jail for Attempted Rape 2nd Degree, Unlawful Imprisonment and 2 counts of Indecent Liberties (Forcible Compulsion)

Deputy Mark Gregory

Spokane County Sheriff’s Office

Spokane Valley Police Department
Public Information Officer

Leave Your Comment Below


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.