K9 Khan Ends Suspect Attempt to Flee


K9 Khan Ends Suspect Attempt to Flee

Spokane County Sheriff’s K9 Khan located the driver who fled from a traffic stop initiated by Spokane Valley Deputy Rassier early Thursday morning.  The pursuit was later terminated but the driver, 27-year-old Derek W. Schilling, continued driving recklessly and fled on foot after he wrecked near the intersection of Market and Garland.  He was located by K9 Khan hiding near the railroad track and taken into custody after a brief struggle. 

On May 4, 2017, at approximately 4:25 a.m., Spokane Valley Deputy Rassier observed a Mercury Cougar going south on Farr at what appeared to be a high rate of speed.  He attempted to stop the vehicle for several observed violations, including the lack of a rear license plate, in the area of Farr and Sprague.  Instead of stopping, Schilling accelerated through a parking lot, back out onto Sprague, and fled westbound.

Schilling, ignoring the emergency light and siren of Deputy Rassier’s patrol vehicle, began to recklessly weave across lanes of travel at a high rate of speed.  With little to no vehicle or pedestrian traffic in the area, Deputy Rassier continued the pursuit.

Schilling took the westbound I-90 on-ramp from Sprague but failed to maintain control of his vehicle and spun, striking the concrete barrier on the north side of the ramp.  He regained control of his vehicle and continued to flee.  Now, less erratic, he used his turn signal when he entered the light traffic on I-90.

Schilling exited I-90 on the Hamilton exit as he continued his attempt to evade arrest on the city streets.  The pursuit was terminated near Bridgeport and Regal due to the increased risk caused by Schilling’s obvious disregard for the safety of the public, himself, and the deputy.

A short time later, without anyone pursuing him, Schilling sped through the intersection of Garland and Market into a field and crashed into the railroad tracks on the east side of Market.  Deputy Watts, traveling toward the pursuit to assist before it was terminated, observed Schilling wreck.  He stopped to make contact, but by the time the cloud of dust settled, he observed Schilling had already fled on foot.

A containment perimeter was established and Deputy Kullman and his partner K9 Khan arrived to help find Schilling.  After several K9 announcements were given, advising Schilling to surrender, K9 Khan began to track from the vehicle across the field.  K9 Khan began to pull harder, indicating Schilling may be close, so an additional K9 announcement was given but went unanswered.  Deputy Watts illuminated the hillside below their location and Schilling was observed trying to hide.  Commands were given for Schilling to show his hands but instead, he reached down toward his waist/lower body.  With Schilling ignoring the commands and not knowing if he was armed or trying to access a weapon, K9 Khan was deployed.

K9 Khan quickly closed the distance and made contact with Schilling.  Failing to surrender, Schilling attempted to kick Khan away and momentarily broke free of Khan’s grasp.  Khan immediately regained contact as Schilling struggled, attempted to punch Khan and tried to escape.  During the struggle, Schilling and Khan rolled down the embankment as Khan maintained his grasp.  Deputy Watts and Deputy Rassier took control of Schilling at the bottom of the hill and he was taken into custody without further incident.

Schilling received medical attention before he was transported and booked into the Spokane County Jail for Attempting to Elude a Law Enforcement Vehicle, Obstructing, Driving While Suspended 3rd and for a Washington State Department of Corrections Escape Community Custody warrant.

K9 Khan was not injured during the incident.

Deputy Mark Gregory

Spokane County Sheriff’s Office

Spokane Valley Police Department
Public Information Officer

Leave Your Comment Below


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.